Saturday, November 20, 2010

Second, but still first




This day was sure to come as it was an event in the making from our first run together; a quarter-mile jog through a park. Harrison was four-years-old then and I was 44. That was six years ago and with each race he entered - starting with half-milers, then a mile, then 5k’s and one 10k - he was getting faster with each race and at the pace he was improving, and at the pace I was aging, there would come a day when he would beat me in a foot race.

Today is that day.


A new tradition

  

Racing the Gobble Hobble 5k is now an official father-son tradition. That is, if two years in-a-row qualifies as a tradition. Let’s call it our official start of the holidays. Last year he ran a personal best time of 25 minutes, 36 seconds, placing him in the top 10 in his age division. I, on the other hand, didn’t run for a personal best time but instead ran to pace a friend wanting to set her own record. Which to me, by the way, was a more rewarding endeavor.


For the record


When we crossed the starting line this morning we were both in it for personal efforts. Although there weren’t any race predictions between us there was an unspoken expectation I would cross the finish line first.

Harrison finished in 24 minutes, and 28 seconds, a personal record for him and 14 seconds ahead of me.

So much for expectations.


He beat me. I gave it my all and he flat out won.


The good sport


When I crossed the line gasping for air and holding a side stitch the first person to welcome me was Harrison. He said, “Dad, good race. You were like flying at the end. Good job.” [knuckle bump]

For a brief moment I felt so good I forgot my aching side and didn't care  that spit was still hanging onto my chin. That was proof getting whipped by a 4th grader isn't so bad. Watching him give his best effort is highly satisfying, but not as satisfying as being a witness to his sportsmanship and camaraderie.


Call me second fastest in the household but I’m still first in fatherly pride.


Stay tuned…

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good job for both. Glad to see you too and will see you the same race next year. It's fun and easy access event. Joy

Doug W said...

That is AWESOME Brian! I can't wait until my four year-old is beating me! Our first run together was in the spring. I was doing my cool-down from a long run and she wanted to come with me and made it almost 0.75 mile. She's been running cool-downs with me and at times I find it hard to keep up! In September she ran her first one mile race and was the fastest of the under 8 crowd with a 12:34. I was beaming with pride and even a few tears as she crossed that finish line!

Wyldchyld said...

Boomer it is great to see that you are starting a healthy family tradition. I think you are doing the right thing with Harrison. Your coachng skills are working, and your fatherly skills are just as good. Keep up the good work.

Brent Buckner said...

That's wonderful.